Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day

Election Day has left me feeling ecstatic, emotional and well, exhausted. I was somewhat shocked and horrified to discover that some of my students' parents didn't vote. The girls mentioned it casually in class and asked me if I was voting. Then they asked why. I gave an impromptu lesson on women's suffrage and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. I love these teachable moments. As I reflected on my reasons for voting, the main reason was clear; simple yet complex at the same time. My reason for voting is:
I voted not only to honor the women who fought so hard to earn us the right to vote but also for Ellie. I voted so that Ellie will someday realize that anyone in this country can reach the highest office, I voted in hopes that she will grow up in a nation where all people are granted basic civil rights and I voted to show her that her voice counts. We try to model appropriate behavior for our toddler at all times and I hope that she saw something yesterday that will influence her for life. My goal is that our daughter will realize that voting is not only a privilege, but also her responsibility.

No comments: